Friday 17 April 2015

How to stay glamorous whilst flying high (on my way to 42 Wallaby Way, Sydney)

So it has come to my recent attention that our much anticipated and long awaited holiday to the great Australian city of Sydney is upon us!!  It was one of those scenarios where I kinda knew it was 'coming up' in a vague sense of the words, but my nanna - that's right, my 80-odd (your secret's safe with me Nanna) grandmother casually remarked to me the other day - 'don't you fly to Sydney soon darling?' - 'Thats right Nanna' says me, with a cocky tilt of the head, and with a slight increasing volume to my voice and a much slower pace - 'but Nanna...' (volume increasing another notch), 'that's not until the 19th..remember?' - 'Yes darling' says she...but it's the 19th on Sunday.'  Oh.  She may be 80 odd (wink wink nudge nudge) but the old bird's still going strong! (love you nan)

And so, on the 19th - we fly.  Now I know Perth to Sydney is not exactly a major long haul flight, although...



Ahem...well, you get the picture...it's still pretty sizeable.  I digress.  It got me thinking about my skin care routine when flying across the world.  How does one get off a plane without looking exactly like one of the extras from Michael Jackson's Thriller cast?  Well, with a few key products and hints as it were, you too can come gliding through the Arrival gates at Gatwick as effortlessly elegant as Cate Blanchett ready for a night at the Oscars!

Now travelling with a little dependent ups the ante somewhat in the great challenge to arrive at planned destination without being covered in scraps of food from yours and their meals; bodily fluids wiped across the front of your 'I-bought-this-specially-for-this-flight' cashmere wrap and taking on the general aura and appearance comparable to Michael Keaton in Beetlejuice....and that's just travelling with the husband  - throw a small child into the mix and you have a real mess on your hands (cue comedy drum sound).  But here it is - my guide to travelling long haul...or in my specific case, across the other side of Australia and continue to look your gorgeous selves!

Hydrate!

And I don't mean just drinking water (although I do also mean drink water...and plenty of it)...I know it's hard, when your 13 hours into a 23 hour flight and you just can't do another second of rainbow colouring, and every fibre of your being is screaming for a cup of strong coffee....well...have one - just bloody have one - come on - lets be realistic - but try to limit it to one or two even, depending on the length of your journey.  And for every cup of coffee or tea, try to guzzle a couple of cups of water - those plastic cups they give you on flights are so blooming tiny you may even have to make 4 your magic number.  And don't not drink because you want to keep your number of 'altercations' with 'the facilities' to a minimum (I'm on to you) - drink - keep your mind and body hydrated - trust me you will feel better at the other end and your skin will thank you for it.

Use a hydrating mask during the flight - yes people may look at you like you are a crazy person, but - revel in the fact that at the other end you will look refreshed and supple and they will not.

Some great masks to use are:

Dermalogica hydrating gel mask


Dermalogica Skin Hydrating Masque $56

This one is lovely - goes on clear so as to be less conspicuous and is oil free!  I have used this one a couple of times and is very hydrating and soothing.

Body shop Vitamin E Sink in Moisturise Mask


Vitamin E Sink In Moisture Mask $23.95
Avene Soothing Moisture Mask


Avene Soothing Moisture Mask



Depending on the length of the flight and how much time you have and want to invest in this, means you can obviously tailor your 'routine' to what suits you...So for me - on a long haul flight  - I would wait for the plane to 'level off' - then using a wipe (which I only use for on planes and camping mind you!) I would remove my makeup, sometimes my eye makeup as well, other times (if for a shorter flight) I will leave eye make up on..  I would then apply some sort of moisturising, misting spray..at the moment I am using this one by Sukin...

Sukin Hydrating Mist Toner $9.95

Followed by some moisturising serum, for example this one...

Firming Youth Serum $29.95
Or this one...

Clarins Double Serum $120
I have also used this facial oil before...

Kate Sommerville Dilo Oil $75
..which smells so divine - you will feel as though you are on holiday already...When I use this product I will also smooth some of this through the ends of my hair for a bit of moisture for the tresses....And then I will apply my hydrating mask.

Add on some Elizabeth Arden 8 Hour Cream to my  lips and cuticles, rub in some hand cream, pat some Clarin's Eye balm gently to my eye area and whammo!  I would love to say that at this point I watch 4 hours of movies, stuff myself needlessly with the in flight meal (for some reason, when I fly, all my reservations about food quantities goes out the window...I will eat everything on that little platter, whether or not I need it...) and then pull an eye mask over my peeps for a good at least 6 hour kip..but alas - those days are gone.  Now with Little G in tow - long plane journeys consist mainly of hours of colouring, sticker application, nursery rhyme singing...the food eating is still relevant mind you...hmm.

But hopefully using a carefully planned roster with Husband I will actually manage to get some sleep and some movie watching achieved, and then once our destination approaches near -

1)  I will revisit the wipe packet to remove any traces of my hydrating mask that hasn't been absorbed.

2)  Reapply spritz of hydrating toner and serum.

3)  Apply whatever moisturiser I am using - at the moment is this one by Clinique.
Clinique Repairwear Uplifting Cream $110


4)  I will then apply some of my Bobbi Brown BB Cream, and some of my Clinique light reflecting concealer under my eyes and shadowy areas.

5)  Then it's a great idea to carry some dual purpose lip & cheek balm or tint - I really like these ones by Stila and am currently using one in Peony colour!


Stila Convertible Colour $34
Or I would use Clarins Pink Magnolia lipstick on lips and cheeks too!

6)  I will also carry my eyebrow pencil to do a quick touch up of eyebrows and  also use to to create a bit of smokiness on my upper lid - and this is also a great time for my Chanel Beryl Eye Pencil (or substitute nude colour eye pencil) on the bottom water line to detract from 'red eye syndrome'.

Voila!  Fresh as a daisy and radiant as the sun!

Thanks for reading and can anyone recommend other products they like to use for inflight beautifying?

Crystelle xx

Ps Will let you know if we find Nemo! 

No comments:

Post a Comment