Sunday 23 August 2015

My ultra bright introduction to Ultraceuticals

Hello lovely readers - it feels like it has been a while - and it has been a couple of weeks since my last post - for a variety of reasons mostly involving, 'life'!  But here I am and ready and raring to divulge my latest beauty and skincare 'crushes'!



So I had a facial last week - yes - I was feeling that my skin was looking tired, and dull and I felt generally sluggish in myself and so with a few 'to hell with it' and reassuring mutterings to myself that this was another 'investment' in  myself (trust me - the best investment you can make is one in  yourself) I booked a facial with my local beauty salon.  I met the lovely Janine - a delightful young lass with an even more delightful lilting Irish accent; and I immediately felt at ease in her presence.  I had booked in for a bog standard facial, but she convinced me that Microdermabrasion was what was called for - and so, still descending into the dreamy, sing song land from whence the leprechauns are sprung, I agreed.  Now I have had microdermabrasion facials in the past, and whilst they are not unpleasant, they aren't entirely conducive to the relaxing experience that I was seeking - the machines are loud, the suction pen shooting the microdermabrasion particles onto your skin is not unlike the feeling you get when standing on the beach on a windy day and getting sand pins and needles on your legs; only on your face...but after the actual microdermabrasion and all that was as expected - then next is the facial, 'the face rubbing' - or nirvana, as I prefer to think of it.  Now at this point I have to ask, does anyone else have a tendency to 'fall in love' with the person who is administering their facials? - I mean you are laying there in a darkened room with not much clothing on, possibly candles are burning, there is soothing aromas wafting past your nostrils and with every breath in, you become more and more heady with the relaxation of it all - there is skin to skin contact,  sensual rubbing and I tell you before she has even got down to my decolletage I am fantasising about leaving my husband and small child and running away to 'facial heaven' with old 'magic hands Janine' (as she is now being referred to in my mind).  Anyone?  Come on people don't leave me hanging!

Well on this occasion, as I was just being soothed enough to start laying my strategic 'running away  groundwork ', the lovely Janine said, very gently, very soothing 'It's time for the omnilux now' - 'oh right' - apparently as part of a special for the month of August, I was to receive a complimentary 20 minute session of the said Omnilux (normally worth $85) - 'I'll just pop on these special goggles to protect your eyes; some people find the light a bit bright' says she...'Righto', says I - and there I was settling myself down, eyes closed, goggles intact, mid sentence about some banal small talk when she switched.  The light.  On....

....



Even with my eyes shut and the special bloody goggles on because some people 'find the light a bit bright' I felt like I had entered some sort of medieval torture chamber and that someone was forcing my eyes open and shining the light of a thousand suns into them - I could feel my eyelids  squeezing so tight together in a hopeless bid to shut out the beam of god forsaken luminosity that they were watering, and I think I managed to say, 'wow - its rather bright isn't it'...  I just wanted to escape the brightness - the incredible spotlight that was so white it was almost painful to endure, and after a few minutes of torrid eye clenching and polite stilted conversation, (as I literally couldn't concentrate on stringing a sentence together), to my absolute horror the next words to come out of that innocent little irish girls mouth was, ' so that's the warm up light for your eyes to adjust, I'll just switch the light on full now' -... before I could even think to open my mouth in protest, the light was indeed switched to full.....

....


It became an almost out of body experience and just when I thought that I couldn't bear it any more I suddenly realised...that I could bear it - that the unpleasantness was easing and that even though I absolutely couldn't rule out that I in fact was in the process of being abducted by an alien spacecraft I began to feel my eye muscles unclenching - the tears drying up, my body relaxing - I even started to enjoy the odd sensory experience that I was having.  It was almost like those sensory flotation tanks they have, but instead of being in complete darkness, I was residing in a world of absolute blinding (quite literally probably) brightness.  And then she started up a glorious hand/arm rub - and just like that, I forgave her  whatever omnilux deceit that had been committed and the only thing I was left thinking about was if my husband would mind if she came to live with us...probably not I decided.


And so the hour and twenty minutes ticked on by and before I knew it the light was switched off and I was gently being encouraged to take 'as long as I needed' to get clothed and get the hell out basically - and as I emerged from that room, bleary eyed, mascara still smudged under my eyes, dishevelled hair, into that bright reception area, where the delightful Janine was waiting to take my money - there existed that odd moment - the realisation that the magic is gone. - well not gone, but reserved for the sanctity of that room only and that when the bright, cold, harsh light of day is so magnificently juxtaposed alongside the dark (before omnilux), warm, gentle cocoon of that salon room - there can be only one winner - and that is why women get facials.

I left feeling rejuvenated and smooth (and not at all blind, which was a bonus because I would have bet my bottom dollar that I was never going to see properly again) and with a nice little Ultraceuticals shopping bag in tow - yay.  And here we arrive at the what was the main purpose of this post, but I concede I did go off piste a little.

I have been using Ultraceuticals for the past week and have been loving them - and I don't know if it was the facial, the omnilux (shudders) or the new skin care products, but my skin hasn't felt this good in a long time.

See below for products that I have been using...

Ultra Balancing Gel Cleanser


Ultra Balancing Gel Cleanser $49


So this cleanser is amazing and I will be very sad when my sample runs out.  It is best suited for normal to oily complexions, so if you suffer from dry or sensitive skin types then use with some caution.  Why?  Because foam cleansers can exacerbate these skin conditions.  For me, though, it is a really effective low foaming cleanser and thoroughly cleans my skin without stripping it of it's moisture.  It also has some great antioxidant ingredients and is enriched with Vitamin E and green tea extract.  And yes, it is expensive and I have said a few times in other posts that when it comes to cleanser I do tend to not spend too much, but I will say, that you only need a small 5 cent piece amount on your hand, if that, and so for the  money, you will get duration.

Ultra Hydrating Lotion


Ultra Hydrating Lotion $72

This is a great moisturiser if you find that you suffer from oily or combination skin - it absorbs so quickly, is non greasy and just feels really calming on the skin.  I have been using the Ultra Hydrating Lotion in the evening in conjunction with my B2 Serum and I have been waking in the morning with such smooth, hydrated skin - I really really like this product.

Ultra UV Protective Daily Moisturiser SPF 30


Ultra UV Protective Daily Moisturise SPF 30 $69

I wear a SPF 30 moisturiser every single day.  Even if it's raining and overcast, even if I know that I will be driving to work in the dark, working in a building and then driving home again with minimal exposure to the sun light.  I really, truly believe that sun exposure is the worst thing you can do for your skin (the long term term benefits of sunscreen has been proved by scientists..)  Now I have been loving and touting the glories of my Mecca Cosmetica To Save Face hydrating lotion SPF 30, but I have to say - Ultraceuticals are pushing the boundaries of my devotion.  Now this may sound silly, but I felt kinda bad even trying a different SPF, because I have been so impressed and happy with my Mecca -  I felt like I was going 'behind its back'... but you know what....this incredible formula is not only fast absorbing, it is a SPF 30 broad spectrum sunscreen that will protect the skin from UVA and UVB rays as well as those free radicals that can cause premature aging.  It also has an amazing blend of moisturising agents like shea butter to keep the skin looking supple and improving the appearance of fine lines and uneven texture.  And this particular formula, is mattifying.  Again you only need a small amount and it goes a long way - it doesn't leave any white mask effect and is fantastic as a base for makeup.  Get it.

Ultra B2 Hydrating Serum


Ultra B2 Hydrating Serum $85
And last but not least the Ultra B2 Hydrating Serum.  This serum, whether on it's own or as a collective effort with the other products, has made my skin feel supple and healthy.  It has a double dose of Vitamin B to double the hydrating benefits and it is soothing and refreshing.  Containing Provitamin B5 an anti-inflammatory to help with tissue repair, Vitamin B3 to improve the lipid barrier function and combine those two with hyaluronic acid - one of my favourite skin care ingredients to help improve the water retention capacity of the skin and you quite simply, have a winner.  And that is the thing that I have really admired and been impressed with Ultraceuticals is that is simple skin care that does work.

So if you haven't already tried any of Ultraceuticals incredible product range, I do urge you to do so.  You won't be disappointed.

Thanks once again for reading.  Until next our next close encounter...


Crystelle xx



No comments:

Post a Comment